skip to main content
MWR - For All of Your Life
Morale, Welfare and Recreation at Richmond  -  8000 Jefferson Davis Highway  -  Richmond, VA 23297  -  Tel: 804.279.5235  -  Fax: 804.279.3340
Connect with us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Link up with us on LinkedIn
 
 
Military Family

Bellwood Club History

“Bellwood” as Richmonder’s historically call the club, is located in Chesterfield, Virginia.

 

The site was first occupied by the family of Thomas Sheffield in 1619 under a royal land grant that included 2,300 acres. Three short years later, in the Indian Massacre of 1622, the family was wiped out with the exception of one 2-year-old child.  For 12 years, until 1634, the land lay idle.

 

When the local region was organized into shires, the Sheffield tract was granted to Seth Ward, and it rBellwood Clubemained in his family for 163 years. In 1797, Richard Gregory of Dinwiddie purchased the land for 5,000 pounds.

 

The Bellwood club was built between 1797 and 1804, and now stands on the site of the Gregory family home. The old house was burned before the War Between the States, but was rebuilt onto the east wing, which survived the flames. The east wing was torn down during the construction of the depot, however, the original heart pine flooring, which dates back to antebellum days, remains intact and is in use in the present club.

 

Also retained from the original home are large and highly ornamental antique locks and doorknobs of heavy bronze. The Gregory descendants have access to the family cemetery located to the rear of the Club.

 

The Bellwood Club was built between 1797 and 1804. It served as the manor house on the plantation which at present day DLA Installation Support at Richmond occupies. When the U.S. Army purchased the property in 1941 from the last private land owner, Mr. James Bellwood, the manor house was turned into an officers' club. The structure, although renovated and adapted for use by the military, still retains much of its original architecture, including its original pine flooring, paneled doors, stairs, ornamental locks and doorknobs, and window frames.

 

The Bellwood home, the elk and surrounding land is on the Department of Interior list for historic places and is a registered historic landmark in both, Virginia and Chesterfield County. The club features a pillared front entrance way and an enclosed porch adding traditional southern ambiance.

 

The Bellwood Club is the perfect rental location for a private reception, dinner or other social function. It offers understated elegance and classic surroundings for private social events. It can accommodate parties of 220 for seated dinners, or 300 for cocktail receptions. The site is also an attractive location for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, and organizational meetings. The Bellwood Club offers plated meals, buffets, and the patron's choice of stand-up or served hors d'oeuvres for receptions.

 

For reservations or additional information, please contact the Bellwood Club at (804) 279-4743.

Defense Logistics Agency
DISCLAIMER:  The Department of Defense, DLA Aviation and MWR do not endorse, pay for, or sponsor any advertisement on this website.  Additionally, no personally identifiable visitor information is tracked by this website or stored on its servers. For additional information regarding this website or our agency, please contact us.
Morale, Welfare and Recreation at Richmond
DLA Installation Support at Richmond
8000 Jefferson Davis Highway
Richmond, VA 23297
P: 804.279.5235
F: 804.279.3340
Calendars